This dish is almost always done with chicken, and dates back to the Raj era.
Murgh Jalfrezi Ingredients:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 onions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5g ginger, finally chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 0.5 tsp. ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp. ground coriander
- 0.5 tsp. turmeric
- Finely chopped chili (optional)
- Vegetable oil
- Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and set aside. Chop the onion into strips and brown in vegetable oil for a couple of minutes, stirrings continuously.
- Add the chicken, garlic and chopped ginger and brown over a medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the peeled and chopped tomatoes, finely chopped green pepper and a cup of chicken stock.
- Stir well and simmer over a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and chili (if being used) and stir again.
- Check the salt and, on a high heat, cook until the liquids have reduced and thickened.